Michelle Turner has an eye for details.
The fourth-generation Washington-area native has spent the last 13-plus years of her career with the USO and currently holds the title of senior manager, accounting. But before she was responsible for tracking the USO’s expenditures, she had to learn how to work with nuances of a different kind.
“In order to get my first job running a printing press, I had to reproduce the John Falter print ‘Ice Skating in Central Park’ with exact precision,” said Turner, a lithographer by trade before earning an accounting degree from Strayer University. “This undertaking included everything from shooting the negative, to printing the four-color copy on a printing press. It was the most nerve wracking, challenging and rewarding thing I had ever done, but [it] also prepared me for parenthood and my subsequent career change.”
Turner – who is married with two daughters – broke into the accounting field in 1989 and joined the USO’s accounting team as a contractor a decade later. Her father and two uncles were Vietnam veterans, so she saw the organization’s cause as a natural fit.
And while she’s seen a multitude of positive changes during her tenure at the USO, the one thing she feels has stayed the same is the camaraderie.
“Having worked here for so long I can truly say that I have never worked with such a great group of people,” she said. “As an organization, we celebrate our triumphs and mourn our losses together the same as any close-knit family would, and that’s an attribute I’ve not experienced anywhere else.”
–Story by USO Story Development
The USO is pleased to offer Internships for credit or for practical work experience during the summer of 2010. The Internships will begin in May, 2010 and each Internship requires a minimum of 20 hours work per week, at the USO offices in Arlington, VA. A parking or transportation allowance is provided.
The application deadline for these positions is April 16, 2010. Click here to learn more and apply!
Be an intern with us!
Internships are available in the following departments:
- Communications – One position is available with a focus in Digital Assets and Social Media. This requires a degree focus in Communications or Digital Media with the ability to use a MAC, familiarity with CS4, and proficiency in social media channels
- Human Resources – One position is available with a focus on HR processes, both national and international, including research of legalities in HR processes and project-based work for functional HR areas. This requires a degree focus in Human Resources or Organizational Psychology.
- Finance – One position is available with a focus accounts payable, cash receipts, financial analysis of monthly reporting packages, and control analysis. This requires a degree focus in Accounting or Finance.
- Development (2 positions) – One position is available in Major Gifts and Planned Giving with a focus on donor research, event planning for donor recognition and follow up with Planned Giving Donors and Executors. This requires a degree focus in Business, Political Science, Public relations, or a degree related to non-profit management. One position is available in Online Development with a focus in online marketing and web content management. This requires a degree focus in Marketing, Business or Finance with strong web content skills and analytical skills
- Operations – One position is available in SharePoint Administration to assist with information migration into the new SharePoint environment. This requires a degree focus in Information Management, Knowledge Management, or Library Information Sciences with familiarity in working with taxonomies, keyword searching and other information management tasks.
Email inquiries only; no phone calls, please.