Have you signed up to host a Barbecue for the Troops for the summer yet? Be sure to use one of our amazing recipes!
Here’s one from our partner Kroger. In support the USO’s broad range of programs that assist troops and their families, Kroger will donate $2.3 million to the USO during their Honoring Our Heroes campaign! Learn more about Honoring Our Heroes at www.honoringourheroes.com
Kroger’s Parmesan Garlic Grilled Corn
Enjoy this simple recipe for grilled corn on the cob topped with garlic spread and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
Cook time: 25 minutes
> PAM grilling spray 1/4 cup
> Parkay original spread
> 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
> 1/8 tsp. black pepper, ground
> 4 medium ears fresh sweet corn, husks removed
> 3 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Spray cold grate of gas grill with grilling spray. Preheat grill to medium heat.
2. While grill heats, combine Parkay spread, garlic salt and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Grill corn 12 to 15 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, turning occasionally.
4. Remove corn from grill. Brush with Parkay seasoning mixture; sprinkle entire ear of corn with cheese and serve.
Find more recipes at Kroger.com!
Have you signed up to host a Barbecue for the Troops for the summer yet? Be sure to use one of our amazing recipes! And here’s another, straight from the frontlines! Our troops may not always have a gourmet kitchen, but they have come up with some ingenious ways to cook up a storm!
Best Baked Beans Ever
1 (12 oz.) can SPAM chopped
1 Tbsp molasses (you can substitute brown sugar or syrup)
1 Tbsp chili sauce
2 (15 oz.) cans baked beans
Optional 2 coarsely chopped onions
Preheat Crock-Pot on high setting. (If you are using onions, microwave onions with some water until translucent.) Combine all ingredients into the Crock-Pot and cook for 1 hour. Stir as needed. Reduce heat on Crock-Pot to low or warm.
Time to gear up for Memorial Day weekend! If you’ve signed up to host your own Barbecue for the Troops this weekend, we’re here to help make sure it’s a hit!
Today we’re sharing celebrity chef Jennifer Behm’s Special Rib Brine Recipe on our Barbecue for the Troops site today – be sure to check it out!
If you’ve signed up to host your own Barbecue for the Troops this summer, you probably very excited to have fun with loved ones while supporting our troops!
To help you get started, we here at the USO, as well as our partners and friends, will be sharing some of our favorite recipes for you to make for your summer BBQ!
Bob Hope is an American icon who truly understood the USO’s mission of lifting the spirits of our troops and their families. Over half a century he headlined over 57 tours with the USO and in 1997 was named an “Honorary Veteran.”
Bob Hope’s Favorite Lemon Pie
- 1 Cup of Sugar, plus two Tablespoons
- 1 Cup of Boiling Water
- 2 Tablespoons of Butter
- 1 Pinch of Salt
- 3 Tablespoons of Corn Starch
- 4 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1 Pie Crust
- 1 Grated Rind of Lemon (Zest)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Bake pie crust according to directions
- Mix 3 egg whites, beaten stiff, and two tablespoons of suger to make meringue
- Combine corn starch and cup of sugar in a sauce pan. Add water slowly, starring constantly, until thick and smooth
- Add slightly beaten egg yolks, butter, lemon rind and juice, and salt
- Cook 3 minutes on medium high heat and then pour into baked pie crust
- Cover lemon pie with meringue and bake in oven for 15 minutes or until light brown
Stay tuned for more great recipes you can make for your Barbecue for the Troops!
Happy Flag Day! Today we honor of the adoption of the American flag on June 14, 1777. The national flag which we see these days has been effective since July 4, 1960. This was following the inclusion of Hawaii in the United States of America. However, this flag featuring 50 stars on a canton against the background of 13 stripes – 7 red and 6 white – has been evolved through a long period of eventful years.
Old Glory is 234 years old today, happy birthday! In celebration, why not make a delicious cake. “Taste of Home” has a great recipe and, better yet, every time someone views the recipe they’ll donate 10¢ to the USO! When you make the cake, be sure to post a picture of it on the USO Facebook Page!
And watch as Taste of Home Editor-in-Chief Catherine Cassidy shows Fox and Friends co-host Steve Doocy how to make a flag cake.