Lockheed Martin, a USO worldwide strategic partner, found a way to include our organization in this week’s AT&T National golf tournament at Congressional Country Club in Bethesda, Md.
As the official military sponsor of PGA Tour star Tiger Woods’ annual tournament, Lockheed hosts troops from the Washington area in its on-site pavilion. Lockheed is also encouraging spectators to stop by the pavilion and assemble an Operation USO Care Package that will eventually end up in the hands of an American serviceman or woman downrange.
Lockheed Martin’s goal is for pavilion guests assemble 7,500 care packages by the end of the tournament Sunday.
–Story by USO Story Development
Have you signed up to host a Barbecue for the Troops for the summer yet? Be sure to use one of our amazing recipes!
Today we have one submitted by Debbie Fink, Author, ‘Edu-tainer,’ USO Tour Vet: Operation Thanksgiving Eagle and The Little C.H.A.M.P.S – Child Heroes Attached to Military Personnel.
Truth be told, we don’t know if the Andrews Sisters had a favorite pumpkin bread; hence, we renamed this mouth-watering pumpkin bread recipe in their memory! If the recipe had been around during their USO heyday, it would’ve been their “go-to” Americana treat!
The Andrews Sisters were American icons, known for their close harmonies and endearing performances. They clocked in nearly 1,000 USO performances over their illustrious careers, lifting the spirits of our troops [and their families] during the first half of the 20th century.
The Andrews Sisters Pumpkin Bread:
(Makes three small loaves)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 can pumpkin (15 oz.)
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ – 2 cups chocolate chips (preferably dark chocolate)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease three small loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Lightly flour the pans.
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl.
- Beat them slightly.
- Add the sugar. Mix.
- Add the oil and water. Mix.
- Add the pumpkin. Mix.
- Add the baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the flour one cup at a time, mixing in between.
- Mix very well, until the batter is smooth.
- Finally, add the chocolate chips. Mix in very well.
- Pour the mixture into three greased pans.
- Bake for 46-60 minutes. Test with a toothpick to see if the loaves are done.
- Stick the toothpick in and pull it right out. If it’s dry, the bread is done.