First Lady Michelle Obama Calls the Sesame Street/USO Experience Her Favorite!

First Lady Michelle Obama delivers remarks to the National Military Family Association Military Child Summit at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. May 12, 2010. (Official White House Photo by Chuck Kennedy)

Yesterday, First Lady Michelle Obama spoke at the National Military Family Association Summit in DC.  The focus of the summit was military spouses and children, and we’re thrilled to say that she cited the Sesame Street/USO Experience as her “favorite” partnership to support military kids!  Here is an excerpt from her remarks:

“One of the great lessons of recent years is that you don’t need to be a military expert to help. You don’t necessarily need to build something new to help. You can keep doing what you’re already doing and connect your work to the priorities of military families.  Consider the Sierra Club, which partnered with the NMFA to create Operation Purple — summer camps that have made a difference in the lives of tens of thousands of military kids. Or my favorite, Sesame Street, which has partnered with the USO to reach more than 100,000 military families and helped kids cope with some very challenging situations.

There are so many organizations with skills and interests that can be shared with military families, and we need to get them involved.

This is a challenge to every community in America.”  Click here to read a full transcript of the First Lady’s comments.

The Sesame Street/USO Experience continues touring throughout the US in 2010.  Below is the schedule for June.  Check with your base’s MWR for ticketing information.  We hope to see you there!

JUNE

Megan Noe poses with her son Henry in front of the Sesame Street/USO Experience for Militar Families poster at Natcher Gym on the Fort Knox Army base in Kentucky, April 10, 2010. (USO Photo by Pat McDonogh)

MCAS Beaufort – South Carolina – June 2 – 2:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.; June 3 – 2:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.

NSB Kings Bay – Georgia – June 5 – TBD

NAS Jacksonville – Florida – June 6 – 2:00 p.m.

NS Mayport – Florida – June 10 – 5:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

Fort Benning – Georgia – June 12 – 2:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.; June 13 – 11:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Fort Rucker – Alabama – June 16 – 2:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.; June 17 – 2:00 p.m.

NAS Pensacola – Florida – June 19 – 2:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.; June 20 – 2:00 p.m.

Keesler AFB – Mississippi – June 23-24 – TBD

NAS JRB New Orleans – Louisiana – June 25-26 – TBD

Fort Polk – Louisiana – June 29-30 – TBD

5 thoughts on “First Lady Michelle Obama Calls the Sesame Street/USO Experience Her Favorite!

1. I am happy to hear about this since this is the first that I’ve heard of this union, which I think is fantastic!! Unfortunately, I do not see anything for Puerto Rico. Do they plan on coming to PR, there are plenty of Military families here that would benefit/appreciate this. Please let me know if there are any plans, I would gladly take the drive across the island to Fort Buchanan for my daughter to see her favorite characters.

2. I think this is wonderful activity for military children. Are you planning to bring the show to Europe/Triborder area, NL. I live in Brunssun, NL (Schinnen) and we are straggling finding activities for our children here. Please, don’t forget us, we need some “Americana” from time to time.

3. I am the wife of Spc. Thrasher. My husband was just recently deployed and when i was able to take our three children (ages 6,5,2) to the USO Sesame Street show, that was showing at our post today, it really brought my children’s spirits back up. It was so greatly appreciated by us. Anything that can put a smile on my children’s faces these days is the best thing ever. I can not begin to tell you how much i appreciated it. Thank you A thousand times over from the bottom of my heart. It is truly warmed by your willingness to give. This day will forever stick out in my memory as a great one. God bless every one of you.